Marketing Thinking

Monday, March 2, 2009

I ran into my favourite Marketing teacher today; and realized that I have forgotten how much I enjoy thinking like a marketer before.

I can tell our conversation would go like this: what is the statement of your business? What is your price strategy? Who are your target audiences? What do you see yourself in 3 years?

Oww, I can't believe that I haven't thought about these. However, I think I have thought about the statement of my business a little bit - I want to make things that make women feel good of themselves. Is that accurate enough? I'm sure I'll need to work on that. I know I feel good when I make things. It's the accomplishment that drives me going everyday.

My price strategy is based on: making it the simplest for both me and my buyers. Of course it has to be fair. I now have basically 5 range of prices for each category. And I'll focus on them. It's straight forward and easy to place the items. Some items I might "lose" a few bulks, but who cares; because I'm pretty sure on some other items, I'll make those few bulks back. It's more important to make my customers happy, than frustrate them. It's also more important to make their lives easier, than complicate them.

I make things that are very feminine. Of course, my focus customers would be trendy, dare to try new things, love beautiful things, adore beautiful things, and last but not least, value the hard work behind those beautiful things.

About the longer-term of plan - I would like to see myself going into a wider range of jewellery making; more independable; and perhaps more focus on what I do. This handmade jewellery business isn't unpopular. There are millions out there just like me. I want to differentiate mine from them - create my own purple cow in this business.

You know I just made the above "conversation" up, right? But thoughts stay.

0 comments: